Latest news releases
Opening doors to Asian markets will top the agenda when Doug Horner, President of Treasury Board and Minister of Finance, travels to Asia May 13-24.
“Making sure we have market access for our products is job one for this government,” said Horner. “Alberta is an export-based province, and that means we must take all opportunities to forge even stronger relations with growing markets like the ones in Asia, a region that hold such enormous economic potential for our province.” Read the news release.
Working Albertans will soon have access to a new retirement savings tool under newly introduced pooled registered pension plan legislation.
“The Government of Alberta deserves credit for introducing pooled registered pension plan legislation to help Canadians who may not have access to a viable, low-cost private pension option,” said Minister of State (Finance) Ted Menzies. “Our Government and the province of Alberta are supportive of low-cost pension arrangements that leave more money in the pockets of retirees.”
- Complete news release
- Bill 18: Pooled Registered Pension Plans Act
- Frequently asked questions about PRPPs
Photos from the announcement at Plains Fabrication and Supply in Calgary - click on the photos for a larger version:
Budget 2013 is a prudent fiscal plan that responds to the Bitumen Bubble while continuing to deliver the responsible change Albertans expect. The budget reflects the priorities Albertans told the government are most important: building Alberta by investing in families and communities, building our savings by ensuring government lives within its means and building new markets for Alberta’s resources – across Canada and around the world.
Budget 2013 news releases by Category:
- General - Building Alberta: Budget 2013 delivers responsible change
- Fiscal Management Act - Building our savings: Clear rules for savings, spending and borrowing
- Capital Plan - Building Alberta: Responsible capital plan meets needs of rapidly growing population
- Health - Building Alberta: Health a priority in Budget 2013
- Education - Building Alberta: Budget 2013 keeps the focus on students
- Human Services - Building Alberta: Budget 2013 increases supports for vulnerable Albertans
- Communities - Building Alberta: Budget 2013 invests in communities
- Market Access - Building markets: Better access means higher prices for Alberta resources
- For more information, visit the Budget 2013 website.
- Click on the thumbnails to download high resolution photos. Click here to view the complete gallery.
Latest website updates
Economic information update
May 24, 2013
- Click here for 2013 1st Quarter information.
Superintendent of Insurance Bulletins
May 16, 2013
- 03-2013: The Alberta Standard Automobile Insurance Policy (SPF #1) has been revised to include the limitation period in the Section B benefits portion of the policy, and the addition of a section in the preamble of the statutory condition section of the policy. These changes are effective September 1, 2013. See the links below for:
- 04-2013: Notice of Fees & Disbursements for Physical Therapy Services under the Insurance Act - effective June 1, 2013
- 05-2013: Notice of Fees & Disbursements for Chiropractic Services under the Insurance Act - effective June 1, 2013
Labour Market Notes - May 2013
May 10, 2013
Labour Market Notes contains timely analysis of the latest labour market data for Alberta and is released the same day as Statistics Canada’s Labour Force Survey. Click here for Labour Market Notes (May 2013), including the “Labour Insight” section: Which industries in Alberta have the most job openings? These documents are available in the Economy & Statistics section of this website.
The results of the Tax and Revenue Administration 2012 Client Survey have been released.
2011 National Household Survey Highlights (Release 1)
May 9, 2013
Data from the 2011 National Household Survey will be released in 3 stages, commencing in May and concluding in August 2013. Highlights prepared by Treasury Board and Finance (Economics, Demography and Public Finance) will be available for each of the releases. Click here for more information.
Economic Trends - April 2013
April 30, 2013
The monthly Economic Trends publication contains timely analysis of current trends in Alberta’s economy. Click here for Economic Trends (April 2013), including the “In Focus” section: Servicing Household Debt: A Provincial Perspective.These documents are available in the Economy & Statistics section of this website.
Alberta Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) Tax Credit Guide updated
April 29, 2013
The Guide to Claiming the SR&ED Tax Credit has been updated and is available on the Corporate Tax Forms page.
- Guide to Claiming the Alberta Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) Tax Credit
- Appendix - Calculation Examples ( Descriptions)
For information, see Special Notice Vol. 6, No. 17, 2013 Assessment Factor – Crown’s Right of Recovery Act.