Latest news releases
Budget 2015 sets a balanced direction for Alberta’s future
March 26, 2015
Budget 2015 will invest in the programs and infrastructure Albertans need while holding the line on spending.
Guided by 10 Fiscal Principles and a matching 10-year vision, Budget 2015 includes five year fiscal and capital plans showing Albertans the long-term approach government is taking. Budget 2015 balances spending restraint with revenue enhancements and will use savings in the Contingency Account to address the province’s fiscal challenge.
Please see the news releases below, and visit the Budget 2015 website for more information.
- Budget 2015 sets a balanced direction for Alberta’s future
- Alberta to fix fiscal foundation
- Budget green light for roads, schools, hospitals and facilities
- Efficient spending supports economic growth, diversity
- Helping child and adult students achieve their potential
- Patient care protected while lowering health spending
- Supporting families and communities a budget priority
- Vulnerable Albertans protected in Budget 2015
- More Budget news and funding announcements
Survey says: Albertans understand budget challenge
March 23, 2015
Results from government’s online budget survey are now available and show Albertans want a balanced approach to Budget 2015. Read the news release and the What We Heard report. The survey dataset is also available through the Open Data portal.
Budget 2015 to be released March 26
Posted March 5, 2015
Third quarter results show a decline in energy revenue
February 24, 2015
Alberta is expected to avoid a deficit in 2014-15 with significant financial challenges on the horizon.
In the third quarter update, the total non-renewable resource revenue forecast is down $503 million from budget, mainly due to plummeting oil prices. Bitumen royalties have taken the biggest hit, and are expected to drop $644 million from budget to year end, with other revenue streams showing slight increases. More information.
Latest website updates
Economic information update
April 24, 2015
Labour Market Notes - April 2015
April 10, 2015
Labour Market Notes contains timely analysis of the latest labour market data for Alberta and is released the same day as Statistics Canada’s Labour Force Survey. Click here for Labour Market Notes (April 2015), including the “Labour Insight” section: A measure of consumer discontent. These documents are available in the Economy & Statistics section.
Economic Trends - March 2015
March 31, 2015
The monthly Economic Trends publication contains timely analysis of current trends in Alberta’s economy. Click here for Economic Trends (March 2015), including the “In Focus” section: Low oil prices slow Alberta’s Economy. These documents are available in the Economy & Statistics section of this website.
Budget 2015 - Fuel and Tobacco Tax Increase
March 26, 2015
Fuel Tax Rate Increase
Alberta will increase its fuel tax rates effective 12:01 a.m. on March 27, 2015. See:
- Special Notice Vol. 1 No. 36, Fuel Tax Increase
- Information regarding the refund application process: see Special Notice Vol. 4 No. 16, Fuel Tax Rate Increase Notice to AITE Exempt Sale Retailers
- Fuel Tax Rate Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Tobacco Tax Increase
Alberta will increase its tobacco tax rates effective 12:01 a.m. on March 27, 2015. See:
- Special Notice Vol. 3 No. 15, Tobacco Tax Increase
- Tobacco Tax Rate Increase Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
IFTA Fuel Tax Rate
Chart for 1st Quarter of 2015
March 20, 2015
The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) Tax Rate Chart for the 1st Quarter of 2015 is now available on the IFTA Forms page.