Alberta Superintendent of Insurance
The Office of the Superintendent of Insurance regulates and creates policy for the insurance market in the province to ensure that Albertans have affordable access to the insurance coverage they require, by monitoring the effectiveness of the market, and responding to the needs of the province and its citizens.
See the menu to your left for more information about
Insurance, or use the quick links below to access highlighted topics.
April 14, 2014 - Insurance Companies List updated
- Insurance Companies Operating in Alberta list (pdf)
April 7, 2014 - Insurance Dispute Resolution - document updated
- On the Insurance Dispute Resolution Process page, the following document has been updated: "How to apply to the Superintendent of Insurance to select an Umpire - for General, Auto and Hail Insurance Claims".
March 28, 2014 - Insurance Companies List updated
The Insurance Companies Lists page now contains the following lists in pdf format:
- Insurance Companies Operating in Alberta (March 28, 2014)
- Insurance Companies No Longer Operating in Alberta (March 17, 2014)
March 7, 2014 - Insurance document update
March 3, 2014 - Financial Data
- Financial Data for Alberta Incorporated Insurance Companies - 2013 Annual information added
February 24, 2014 - Insurance Publications Subscription Service
- A new subscription service is available that allows you to subscribe to receive Insurance publications via email. Click here to subscribe.
January 3, 2014 - Filing Requirements updated
- Alberta has updated its filing requirements for 2013 and subsequent year filings. There are additions to both Alberta’s annual filing requirements and additional requirements for Provincial insurers. Please note that these changes only apply to provincially regulated entities.
December 31, 2013 - Superintendent of Insurance 2012 Annual Business Report
- Click here for the Superintendent of Insurance 2012 Annual Business Report.
December 13, 2013 - Superintendent of Insurance Bulletins
- Superintendent of Insurance Bulletin 08-2013 - Adoption of OSFI Guideline E-19: Own Risk and Solvency Assessment for Provincially Regulated Insurance Entities. Click here for web page: OSFI Guidelines adopted and issued by Alberta.
- Superintendent of Insurance Bulletin 07-2013 - Minor Injury Regulation - Annual Inflationary Adjustment - effective January 1, 2014.
November 27, 2013 - Insurance document update
November 15, 2013 - Financial Data
- Financial Data for Alberta Incorporated Insurance Companies - 2013 3rd Quarter information added
November 6, 2013 - Enhancing consumer protection in auto insurance
- The Redford government is proposing changes to Alberta’s auto insurance system that will result in stronger oversight of premium rates and better access to treatment for those injured in collisions. Read the news release.
September 30, 2013 - Superintendent of Insurance Bulletin 06-2013