Alberta Superintendent of Insurance
The Office of the Superintendent of Insurance regulates and creates policy for the insurance market in the province to ensure that Albertans have affordable access to the insurance coverage they require, by monitoring the effectiveness of the market, and responding to the needs of the province and its citizens.
See the menu to your left for more information about
Insurance, or use the quick links below to access highlighted topics.
September 12, 2014 - Insurance Companies Operating in Alberta List updated
September 12, 2014 - Certified Examiners List updated
September 2, 2014 - Superintendent of Insurance Notice
- 06-2014 - Notice - Interpretation Bulletins and Industry Communications has been added to the Bulletins and Notices page.
August 18, 2014 - Financial Data
- Financial Data for Alberta Incorporated Insurance Companies - 2014 2nd Quarter information added
August 8, 2014 Automobile Insurance Companies' Complaint Liaisons List updated
July 5, 2014 - Superintendent of Insurance Interpretation Bulletin
- 05-2014 - Interpretation Bulletin - Home Warranty Insurance Regulation - Superintendent's Interpretation of Section 6(i) has been added to the Bulletins page.
July 4, 2014 - Superintendent of Insurance Interpretation Bulletin
- 04-2014 - Interpretation Bulletin - Electronic Declarations has been added to the Bulletins page.
June 30, 2014 - Changes to the Insurance Act effective July 1, 2014
Bill 39 – the Enhancing Consumer Protection in Auto Insurance Act – amends the Insurance Act. It was proclaimed (except sections 3, 5 and 28) into force on July 1, 2014.
- Changes to the Insurance Act effective July 1, 2014
- See related Superintendent of Insurance Notices:
June 30, 2014 - Insurance Companies list updated
June 20, 2014 - Insurance Information for Albertans affected by Flood
- Click here for Insurance Information for Albertans affected by Flood, including tips on what to do before and after a flood, overland flooding, vehicle damage, claims, resources from the Insurance Bureau of Canada, the Disaster Recovery Program, and an update on the "Overland Flood Insurance Coverage" offered by Beaufort Insurance Services.
June 20, 2014 - Anti-Terrorism Financing Report form now available
- Click here for the Anti-Terrorism Financing Report, available on the Insurance Forms page. This form is for Insurers, Reciprocal Insurance Exchanges and Exempt Entities.
June 13, 2014 - Property Insurance Tips
May 16, 2014 - Financial Data
- Financial Data for Alberta Incorporated Insurance Companies - 2014 1st Quarter information added
April 7, 2014 - Insurance Dispute Resolution - document updated
- On the Insurance Dispute Resolution Process page, the following document has been updated: "How to apply to the Superintendent of Insurance to select an Umpire - for General, Auto and Hail Insurance Claims".
March 3, 2014 - Financial Data
- Financial Data for Alberta Incorporated Insurance Companies - 2013 Annual information added
February 24, 2014 - Insurance Publications Subscription Service
- A new subscription service is available that allows you to subscribe to receive Insurance publications via email. Click here to subscribe.
January 3, 2014 - Filing Requirements updated
- Alberta has updated its filing requirements for 2013 and subsequent year filings. There are additions to both Alberta’s annual filing requirements and additional requirements for Provincial insurers. Please note that these changes only apply to provincially regulated entities.