Treasury Board and Finance - Our Business
Alberta’s 16th Premier, The Honourable Jim Prentice, Q.C., P.C. and his Cabinet were sworn-in at Government House in Edmonton on September 15, 2014. Read the news release.
Treasury Board and Finance is responsible for economic analysis, budget planning and providing a coordinated and disciplined approach to the management of government spending.
As detailed in the ministry’s business plan, its core businesses are as follows. See the left-side menu for more information.
- budget development and reporting;
- economics and fiscal policy;
- treasury management (see provincial borrowing and banking and payment security);
- government accounting standards, financial management policies, performance planning and reporting;
- tax policy and administration;
- financial sector regulation and policy (regulating insurance, pensions, financial institutions and Alberta’s capital market); and
- Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission.
Alberta Treasury Board and Finance fulfills some of its key responsibilities with the help of numerous provincial agencies, boards, commissions and provincial corporations.