Private Sector Pensions - Pensions Legislation and Updates
Please note: see information on:
- Further Extension for Completion of Governance Policy (posted Dec 20, 2016)
Please note: Legislation and Regulations are stored on the Queen's Printer (QP) website - see their copyright/disclaimer. Regulations are consolidated up to the most recent amendment as soon as possible. The most recent amendment regulation which has been consolidated is noted at the top of the regulation.
- Employment Pension Plans Act and Regulation:
- Employment Pension Plans Act (EPPA) - E-8.1 2012 (effective Sep 1, 2014)
- Employment Pension Plans Regulation 154/2014 (effective Sep 1, 2014) (see the amendment here)
- See also: EPPA Update 14-06; and
- Provision for Adverse Deviation (PfAD) Calculator (MS Excel) (updated Jan 6, 2016)
This is to be used for illustrative purposes only.
- Employment Pension Plans Act - Effective up to Aug 31, 2014 - please contact the Queen's Printer.
- Employment Pension Plans Act (EPPA) - E-8 RSA 2000
Pension Plans Regulation 35/2000
- Pooled Registered Pension Plans Act
Documents produced by Alberta Treasury Board and Finance, Employment Pensions, related to EPPA legislation. These are pdf files and will open in a new window.
- 17-02 - Filing Fee for Pension Plans effective October 1, 2017 (Sep 19, 2017)
In accordance with Section 153 of the Employment Pension Plans Regulation, the Superintendent of Pensions advises that the annual filing fee rate in Alberta effective October 1, 2017 is $2.50.
- 17-01 -
Filing Extension for Actuarial Valuation Reports (Sep 11, 2017)
In accordance with Section 5 of the Employment Pension Plans Act, the Superintendent of Pensions advises that the deadline to file actuarial valuation reports as at December 31, 2016 has been extended six months to March 31, 2018 for all pension plans except Collectively Bargained Multi-Employer Plans. For actuarial valuation reports due to be filed between September 27, 2017 to December 31, 2017 a six month extension is also granted.
- 16-01 - Filing Fee for Pension Plans effective October 1, 2016 (Sep 29, 2016)
In this update, the Superintendent of Pensions provides information on the filing fee for pension plans.
- 15-01 - Extension of Amendment Filing Deadline (May 21, 2015)
British Columbia’s Pension Benefits Standards Act and Regulation have been proclaimed effective September 30, 2015 with amendments due by December 31, 2015. In recognition of Alberta and British Columbia having a highly harmonized pension regulatory environment, the Superintendent of Pensions has extended the deadline for filing amendments with respect to the Employment Pension Plans Act and Regulation to December 31, 2015. Similarly, the deadline for having a funding policy (benefit formula provisions), a participation agreement (non-collectively bargained multi-employer plans) and a governance policy in place is also extended to December 31, 2015.
- 14-06 - Government of Alberta Amends Employment Pension Plans Regulation (Dec 19, 2014)
On December 18, 2014, the Government of Alberta amended the Employment Pension Plans Regulation (Regulation) primarily to establish a new moratorium on solvency funding for Collectively Bargained Multi-Employer Plans (CBMEPs). The Regulation was also amended to extend certain other time limits that are applicable to all pension plans, specifically deadlines for amending plan texts to comply with the new Employment Pension Plans Act (the Act), establishing default funds as well as for some housekeeping changes.See also:
- 14-05 - Requirements for Filing Annual Valuations (Dec 15, 2014)
The trigger for filing annually has changed from being either the funded ratio or the solvency ratio being less than 0.8500, to now only the funded ratio being less than 0.8500. Some exemptions apply and are explained in the update.
- 14-04 - Audited Financial Statements (Oct 30, 2014; updated Sep 16, 2015)
Outlines the requirements for which plans must file an audited financial statement and what type of statement it must be.
- 14-03 - New Legislation - Summary of Changes (Jul 23, 2014)
Broadly highlights the changes between the new Regulation and the old Regulation.
- 14-02 - New Legislation - Administrative Information and Checklists (Jul 23, 2014)
Outlines all of the required and optional plan text provisions resulting from the new legislation.
- 14-01 - New Legislation is Proclaimed (Jul 23, 2014)
Summary of the timing / deadlines that result from the new legislation.
- 13-01 - Alternative Settlement Methods for Hypothetical Wind-Up and Solvency Valuations (Nov 12, 2013)
- 12-02 - Key Differences - Employment Pension Plans Act, 2012 (Nov 27, 2012)
- 12-01 - Defined Benefit Funding Relief Provisions - 2012 (Oct 26, 2012)