Information for Property Holders
In June 2008, Alberta passed the Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property Act (UPPVPA) and Regulation. Both came into force on September 1, 2008. The legislation establishes a service to Albertans who have lost track of property as a result of business or personal circumstances.
|Click here to submit property and money|
that belongs to someone else.
A Holder's Guide to the UPPVPA is available in the following formats (Nov-09):
- Webcast for Holders: 24 minutes - may be played with:
Real Player or Windows Media Player (free download)
- Slides of presentation (pdf)
- Vol. 9 No. 1 - Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property Act - Securities and Safety Deposit Box Contents (Aug-13)
- UP-1R1 - General Information (Mar-12)
- UP-2R2 - Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property Act Property Holders (Mar-12)
Holders can report unclaimed property using our online process.
Holders may use the web form submission process to report small numbers of properties, or the XML File Upload process to report large numbers of property. The choice is theirs. Holders may also remit the cash value of the properties using an internet online payment service available through most major financial institutions. Click here to Submit Property or Money that belongs to someone else and follow the prompts.
- Upload File Format Requirements (pdf) (updated Dec-13)
This document provides the file format, field definitions and additional instructions for unclaimed property holders to create their own files for upload.
- Holder Report XSD File (.xsd format) (updated Nov-12)
This XSD (XML Schema Definition) file must be used by the holder to validate and test each XML file to ensure it conforms to TRA's business rules and formatting requirements prior to uploading and submitting the file.
System downtime notice:
- For maintenance reasons, the "submit property" web page will not be available on the first working day of each month from 5:30 p.m. to midnight.