There is no charge for searching for unclaimed property or to file a claim through the official
websites www.missingmoney.com or www.unclaimedproperty.alberta.ca (this website).
You are encouraged to use one of these sites rather than doing an Internet search for
“missing money”, as you may then arrive at a site that charges a service fee.
System downtime notice:
In June 2008, Alberta passed the Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property Act and Regulation. Both came into force on September 1, 2008.
The legislation establishes a service to Albertans who have lost track of property as a result of business or personal circumstances. A central registry administered by Alberta Treasury Board and Finance, Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA):
- provides a searchable directory for unclaimed property,
- facilitates the processing of claims to reunite owners with their property, and
- establishes clear and centralized administration for the management of property that comes under the control of the Crown.
For additional general information about this program, see FAQs and Information Circular UP-1. You can use the left-side menu above for more information from the perspective of a claimant or a holder. See the quick links below for more news and other highlighted topics.
Some of the documents on this site may be in PDF format. You need Acrobat Reader to open PDF documents. If you do not have Acrobat Reader, you may download this free program.
August 13, 2015
New Special Notice
- Special Notice Vol 9. No. 4, Extension of Abandonment Period for Securities and Contents of Safety Deposit Boxes
December 18, 2014
New Special Notice
- Special Notice Vol. 9 No. 3, Amendment to the General Regulation: Securities and Contents of Safety Deposit Boxes
September 9, 2014
Unclaimed Property Overview Presentation
- Overview of Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property (UPPVPA) Program (pdf) has been added to the site.
March 25, 2014
Unclaimed Property Upload File Format Requirements, and Holder Report XSD file updated
- Upload File Format Requirements (pdf) - This document provides the file format, field definitions and additional instructions for unclaimed property holders to create their own files for upload.
- Holder Report XSD File (.xsd format) - This XSD (XML Schema Definition) file must be used by the holder to validate and test each XML file to ensure it conforms to TRA's business rules and formatting requirements prior to uploading and submitting the file.