The Budget Development and Reporting division is accountable for the government’s budgeting, spending and performance management process, including results-based budgeting. One of its main outputs is the preparation of the province’s annual budget.
Responsibilities within the division include:
- Preparing the annual budget, and quarterly fiscal updates, as well as the executive summary of the Government of Alberta Annual Report and Measuring Up.
- Providing timely, relevant and accurate analysis, advice and recommendations to decision-makers (Minister, Treasury Board Committee, Cabinet, Executive Council and other bodies) on operating and capital spending.
- Leading and coordinating the identification of opportunities for more effective spending to achieve program objectives.
- Assessing the impact of approved capital projects on future ministry operating spending.
- Coordinating the results-based budgeting process for government.
- Setting the ministry business plan standards.
- Providing advice and recommendations to ministries on business plans and performance measures.