Payments by Cheque to the Government of Alberta
Effective June 15, 2012, citizens and corporations who
Traditionally, corporations and citizens making payments to the Government of Alberta were instructed to make them payable to Minister of Finance. This practice is outdated and has caused confusion:
- The minister’s title has changed several times over the years.
- There are multiple jurisdictions in Canada with a Minister of Finance.
- Sometimes it is not clear which jurisdiction the payment is intended for.
Your payment will still go through.
The Government of Alberta will grandfather the use of the existing payees. These include:
- Minister of Finance
- Minister of Finance and Enterprise
- Minister of Treasury Board and Finance
- Provincial Treasurer
Yes. Government has no reason to expect the use of Government of Alberta will ever change.
Over time, the practice of identifying Government of Alberta as the correct payee for all payments to the province will become ingrained for government departments, financial institutions, corporations and citizens alike.
People should not make cheques out to individual departments or ministries, unless they are directed to do so by that ministry or department.
For more information, please call Treasury Board and Finance at 780-415-9197.