Cheques issued by the Government of Alberta - Lost or Damaged Cheques

If, after receiving a Government of Alberta cheque, you lose it, or if it has been damaged and can no longer be negotiated, you can ask for  a replacement cheque.

The ministry that originally issued the payment needs to be contacted so that they can process a replacement payment. When you call them, you need to provide as much information as possible about  the payment in question, including:

  • payee
  • when was the payment received
  • how much was the payment
  • what was the payment for

This information helps us identify the cheque in question so that we can re-issue it. The department that is replacing the cheque may have special requirements that you need to meet in order to receive a replacement cheque. Sometimes you will be asked to complete a form and have it notarized. Specific instructions relating to your cheque will be provided when you contact the issuing department.

Back to Top

How to have a Lost or Damaged Cheque Reissued

If you require a Government of Alberta cheque to be reissued, please follow this process:

  1. Contact the finance office of the issuing ministry (see list of Government of Alberta finance offices).
  2. Provide the cheque details so the payment can be identified.
  3. Follow any other instructions provided by the issuing ministry.
  4. Submit the correct documentation (if any)  according to the instructions given.

If you are unsure who to contact or have any questions, please call the Payments Help Desk:
                780-427-7481 (in Edmonton)
                310-0000, followed by 780-427-7481 (toll free within Alberta)

Back to Top


Page last updated:  August 4, 2015