Cheques issued by the Government of Alberta - Lost or Damaged Cheques
If, after receiving a Government of Alberta cheque, you lose it, or if it has been damaged and can no longer be negotiated, you can ask for a replacement cheque.
The ministry that originally issued the payment needs to be contacted so that they can process a replacement payment. When you call them, you need to provide as much information as possible about the payment in question, including:
- when was the payment received
- how much was the payment
- what was the payment for
This information helps us identify the cheque in question so that we can re-issue it. The department that is replacing the cheque may have special requirements that you need to meet in order to receive a replacement cheque. Sometimes you will be asked to complete a form and have it notarized. Specific instructions relating to your cheque will be provided when you contact the issuing department.
If you require a Government of Alberta cheque to be reissued, please follow this process:
- Contact the finance office of the issuing ministry (see list of Government of Alberta finance offices).
- Provide the cheque details so the payment can be identified.
- Follow any other instructions provided by the issuing ministry.
- Submit the correct documentation (if any) according to the instructions given.
If you are unsure who to contact or have any questions, please call the Payments Help Desk:
780-427-7481 (in Edmonton)
310-0000, followed by 780-427-7481 (toll free within Alberta)